Holman Library News
Holman Library serves Green River Community College in Auburn, WA.
Tuesday, October 24, 2006
Resources at the UW Libraries
Faculty and academic personnel of Washington’s community colleges are entitled to use many of the resources of the University of Washington Libraries, including those at the Bothell and Tacoma campuses.
To borrow items from the UW Libraries, Green River Community College faculty and academic personnel must apply annually for a UW Libraries borrowing card. This can be done through the UW Library Cashier (Monday-Friday 9am – 5pm). If applying in person isn’t convenient, you can do it by fax or mail by submitting to the Library Cashier a statement describing your need to make use of the UW Libraries. You must include a copy of your GRCC identity card and be sure to include your work mailing address so the UW Libraries can mail you your new card.
UW borrowing privileges do not include access to interlibrary loan or remote access to databases.
Bring, mail, or fax your request to:
University of Washington Libraries
Seattle, WA 98195-2900
Fax: (206) 685-6972
Monday, October 09, 2006
Computer Access in the Library
Now that we are into the third week of the quarter, you are probably needing access to a computer to do assignments. Did you know that the library has over 100 computers available for your use? There is also an open computer lab in the Technology Center if you can't get on a computer in the library. Here are some things to know about the library computers:
- Setting up an account to use these computers is easy. Your user name is your student identification number and you get to choose your own password. To choose or to change your password (you must do this each quarter) click on the "Reset Password" button on the login screen.
- Your account includes access to your own space on the H drive for saving documents as well as access to the S and T drives.
- Printing is a two-step process. First you need to send your prints and then you need to go to one of four print release stations and log in again, highlight your print jobs, and select print.
- Each quarter students are allocated $40 worth of printing (paid for through the Student Technology Fee). Any remain balances will be carried forward into the next quarter. Black and white printing is 10 cents/page and color printing is $1.00/page.
- Here is a sampling of what is available in the library's Information Commons: access to our library catalog and databases, the Microsoft Office Suite, scanners, and specialized software for students with disabilities.
- School-related work has priority, especially during the peak hours of 9 AM to 1 PM.
- If the classroom (HL213) is not being used for classes, this room is also available for student use.
- Wireless access is available in the Information Commons to students who have their own laptop computers. Ask at the Reference Desk for an information sheet.
- Student employees are available to help you with your computer problems. (And librarians are available to help you with your research.)